Thursday, February 20, 2020

4:30 a.m.

At 11:00 last night as I was putting my computer away and heading up to bed, Courtney texted that she needed help searching for a venue and/or wedding planner. She and Michael had looked at two venues yesterday but both had pros and cons. And she was starting to feel discouraged.

She sent me a long list of both venues and wedding planners and asked if I could help contact some. Even just one. Anything to help.

You don't get a call for help from your child and then be able to go to sleep. I knew even if I tried, I'd lay there awake formulating a plan, just waiting for morning. So instead of crawling into bed, I went back downstairs and got to work.

I looked at every single website for the wedding planners she listed. I paired the list down (based on a very unscientific process of who had impressive websites and gallery photos of a style that appealed to me (and presumably Courtney and Michael). Some planners only did day-of coordination and a few were specific to Asian culture.) Of the original list of 26, I e-mailed 12 planners.

And made an excel spreadsheet, of course.

I still had lots of adrenaline so started working on the venues in the same way. Most from Courtney's magazine list she'd circled were distant locations in New Jersey or outer New York. Even Pennsylvania. Of the 30 on the list, only six were in Manhattan (or nearby). I reached out to them and then found names of seven more by scrolling through "The Knot" wedding planning website, contacted those seven and then made a list of nine more.

And let's be honest, even though I could hardly keep my eyes opened, I thought I might as well get through a couple more blog posts from our trip. But don't worry, that didn't take too long.

I crawled into bed at 4:30 a.m., ready to sleep soundly, knowing all we can do now is wait.

No comments: