Monday, March 18, 2024

Scattered and Gathering

 Yesterday in Sunday School we had a discussion about Christ gathering his people who have been scattered on the isles of the sea. Our teacher made the observation that we're all people alone on islands from time to time. And I commented that just that morning when I woke up I was feeling scattered. 
While the scriptures talk about a literal scattering of the tribes of Israel and Jews,
we can liken the scriptures unto us and our lives and I see "scattered" as a metaphor for the unease I sometimes feel.

Home from a long trip. Tired from a long (fun) day at an amusement park and days sitting in the hot sun and that off-feeling from not sleeping in your own bed for a while. 

Laundry to do, messes that I'd forgotten about while I was gone that still needed tidying. 

The low level anxiety at being in charge of the Relief Society activity on Tuesday that required me to immediately jump all in contacting the committee, following up on responsibilities 
and finalizing last minute details. 

Make a cake for Chris' birthday. 

The scriptures teach that after the literal scattering, there will be a literal gathering,
bringing all nations and people unto Christ, where God will do a marvelous work and a wonder,
 restoring all people from a lost and fallen state to a knowledge of the Messiah and a Savior.

And like this literal gathering, I've learned what I can do personally to gather myself--
focusing on the Savior brings me peace and grounding:

Time to myself journaling, reading scripture and praying.
Sunday inspirational music.
To-do lists to organize my responsibilities and thoughts.
An inspirational Sunday meeting where speakers testified of experiences 
where they'd felt God at work in their lives.
Interesting Gospel discussion in Sunday School.
Time with my family.

"Come unto me," proclaims Jesus. 
Not as a dictator, because if you don't you better watch out.
But as the ultimate teammate and friend:
 "Come unto me, and I will give you peace."

No comments: