Sunday, February 18, 2018

Deer Valley Sunday

My dream Sunday would consist of:
The whole family hanging out in the same room together all day.
Doing puzzles, playing games (SkipBo, Rummikub, Phase 10, or one of Marty's games that are more complicated but we need him here to remind us all how to play), reading books, having FHE, sharing spiritual experiences, napping, watching the newest Pixar movie with an inspiring theme, eating together and having yummy snacks.

Our Sunday at Deer Valley over President's Day is about the closest we get to my dream.
We skip church. Yes we do. I decided about 5 years ago we were skipping and all staying in. 
I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do, but it feels like it.

My dream is not the rest of the family's dream of how to spend a Sunday. 
But we compromise.

We made a delicious brunch. Nick helped mom and dad and 
learned how to make french toast on Great Harvest Cinnamon Bread.
I worked on my homework. I wish it was finished before today so I didn't have to work on it. 
But it wasn't and I did. But I tried to not let it interfere with family time.

Much to the boys' chagrin, we chose to watch Coco for "church." 
They wanted Incredibles -- pitching us that it had a very family-togetherness theme.
Turns out Coco wasn't available yet. So we watched Incredibles.

After, Chris told us about his talk he gave last week in church.
Also shared an experience about Youth Council where he gave "constructive criticism" minus the constructive. Dan and I tried to give constructive feedback on how an important life skill is telling what you like first. Giving positives. Then giving ideas for change.
Christopher said he disagreed and would keep doing it his way because it worked better.
To our credit, Dan and I remained calm and positive and open-minded.

Chris & Nick went to their own rooms to nap. (And probably secretly play some video games.)
We probably all needed a little break from each other given the aforementioned conversation.

Later Nick and I worked on a puzzle together while Dan & Chris napped.
Then Chris woke up and was happy to join us.
Laughing because they're both holding onto "the last piece" seeing who will give in first.
Dan helped us transfer the puzzle from the little table to the bigger table so we had more space.

Just as it began to snow, we all went to sit in the hot tub together. 
Chris got Nick to try something daring -- sneak into the next-door condo's hot tub.
But he couldn't convince him to sneak into the pool across the hill.

We came back to the condo and made a quick, yummy dinner. (Warmed up Costco curry.)
We couldn't agree on another movie. (I wanted to watch an old classic like Backdraft or Frequency or  The Guardian. But it's really hard to talk teens into movies you think they may like.)
We kept the peace and watched Psych instead. We can never go wrong with Psych.
And then one episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

After they showered, I was able to talk Nick and Dan into a final round of Rummikub before bed.
Hot chocolate cups x2, snack bowls. Documented.


No comments: