Monday, January 12, 2009

Nicholas is 4!

Our littlest guy is four years old today! I've been very sentimental today and yesterday seeing my baby so big!!

We had his birthday dinner last night and he requested steak. Yep, definitely growing up.


Nick's was an easy, fast birth -- my nurse ended up delivering him because my midwife didn't make it on time. Dan was a little nervous, but I was elated! Yea! It's almost over! I didn't care who caught him, I was just glad to get him out! The only bad part was he was pretty banged up in the quick process. 9.2 lbs has to do some serious squishing to get out so he was black and blue. The Nursery nurses even told me in all seriousness to warn the night crew he was purple from the delivery or else they'd panic when they saw a blue baby in the crib! His hospital picture is a little scary.





We've had a tradition of celebrating 1st birthdays at the zoo -- Courtney's 1st was at the Buenos Aires zoo in Argentina. Marty's at the Bronx zoo. Christopher in balmy L.A. in March. Nick was in Salt Lake in the dead of winter. Everyone wanted to change the tradition since it was so cold, but I insisted! So we bundled up and saw a few animals. We sat on a freezing bench and took off our gloves to eat a cupcake and then got the heck out of there. It was freezing!




Nobody can remember what we did for his two year birthday and we can't find any pictures. Oh yeah, that was the year I was PTA President. No wonder! So sorry youngest child!



Last year we rode the train and went sledding. Talk about THE best birthday!

Nicholas loves his trains and has been a big Thomas fan! He's sharing the love with Geo-Trax this year because they go by themselves and with a "controller." He's played with his new trains all day today. He also loves to paint and draw. He has a much longer attention span for all things artistic than my other two boys had. We colored with Sharpie's together today -- getting to use the "Mom" markers was super fun for him and him saying, "you're doing a good job, Mom" was super fun for me. Grandpa brought over a small pirate's chest to paint tonight and Nicholas opened it right away and painted the whole thing -- even informing us that blue and yellow make green.

His older brothers and sister are so sweet with him and he loves being a "big kid" now -- even tagging along on some playdates with some of Christopher's friends and VERY kind moms!

He's got such a sweet, easy-going personality it's tough to get too mad at him even when he gets into all kinds of mischief.

We love you Nick! Glad you're part of our family!

3 comments:

Sheree said...

Aw, I love that kid!

When he was a newborn, he just had this look like he knew what was going on and he smiled all the time.

He was a great talker, and spoke with such great enunciation. I remember him talking about Jane, the neighbors dog.

He is so easy-going and sweet. I love his cute little voice! Miles loves playing with Nicholas.

And I love how much he loves those trains.

He is such a darling kid! I am glad he had a fun birthday!

Camille said...

I'm going to be honest--a lot of times newborn babies are not very cute--and I have to say "That is a totally cute baby! What a sweet little face!"

Anonymous said...

Oh, its rough when they grow up. Four is a big leap from three.

Happy B-day to Nicholas.