Tuesday, November 12, 2019

NaNoWriMo Update

I've been doing great at meeting my 2,000 words/day writing goal! I'm even two days' worth of writing ahead in preparation for Thanksgiving break.

THINGS I'VE LEARNED:

I've learned that if I just start writing, the scene starts developing itself. Ideas come if I simply start, and the scene gets developed. I also get new ideas for future scenes.

I've learned to write down any ideas (even just a sentence) in my "scenes" section so I have a supply of ideas ready.

I've learned that at 350 words, the number 2000 sounds daunting. But by 1000, I'm clipping along in the middle of an idea; and by 1600, I know I can get to 2000.

I write dialogue without including very much sensory detail or emotion. And certainly no fantastic one-liners. But when I went back and read the scenes, they were actually better than I had thought. So I feel like I'm on to a good start.

It's fun to create. It's fun to have the puzzle come together. It's fun to consider how the different characters would be feeling and reacting.

When I'm stuck for what to write, instead of thinking "what happens next..." I have better luck with, "what happens at the end?"Or, "Meanwhile, what's Roger doing?" 

I also have scenes I write based on  2 min. interactions I've had in real life. Like the time I was sitting in Sports Clips waiting for one of the boys, and a family walked in from my neighborhood. Their mom had died in a car accident a few months before. And the stylist said, "Hi kids! I see Dad brought you today! Usually its Mom!" And I felt panicked for them, for what emotions that stirred up, what they would say, how the stylist would react. In the real-life situation, they didn't say anything. The dad just introduced himself.

And finally, I've been able to find the time. Even on very busy days. Having a word limit vs. a time limit is easier for me to approach. Previously I would think, "I need to sit down and write for three hours." And I'd instantly be exhausted and need a nap. But having a word limit gets me excited. It's interesting to figure out my own brain psychology and what motivates me.

It hasn't been easy, but I've enjoyed every minute I've spent working. I love that I'm making progress!

P.S. I just thought of another important tip: On the right hand corner of the computer screen, click it and "Turn Notifications Off." I do the same on my phone. It makes such a difference to not have those tempting distractions of texts, e-mails or phone calls!

No comments: