Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Memory Lane

(We actually have a Memory Lane in our neighborhood!)

Tonight we went to Provo to see Marty and Lizzie's apartment and take them to dinner.
Nick had to work and we wouldn't be back in time to pick him up from work so we just asked him to work an extra hour. Which he did without complaint!

Lizzie was still teaching (online at the kitchen table) when we got to Provo, so we had 30 minutes to drive around and look for our old house.

Wow! This house is so ugly!
The windows were so thin, the wind blew right through them. We found some plastic-type covering that attached with a hair dryer to try to keep the winter out. So funny.
But we loved living there together and made it really cute inside.


Next we went to find my little house I lived in after Raintree when I decided to stay for Summer Term (so I could spend more time with Dan. What if I didn't make that decision?!)

I think this may have been the house. But unfortunately I have no photos of the exterior while I was there. But see that tree on the door? I remembered Courtney telling me that Michael lived in a house in Provo with a tree painted on the door. They'd visited it together with Nick a year ago when they were in Utah. They made Nick ring the doorbell.

So Michael and I may have lived in the SAME HOUSE! 23 years apart!


It could have been this one next door. But I don't remember there being a window before my bedroom window at the corner of the house.
It's so funny because I don't think I stepped foot in the kitchen or living room the whole summer.
I always ate with Dan at his house.
We have photos of me and Jamie and Dan in my bedroom. 
And I definitely remember sleeping there and my roommate who was Chinese because she was worried about Tianamen Square that was going on while we were together.


I mostly remember after Dan left for the break between summer term and leaving on his mission,
I got a job at JB's near Raintree and would walk home every night at like 1:00 a.m. (was JB's open that late?) through the deserted streets of Provo. I stopped at Hardee's (they were open all night long) and got a small root beer, no ice and a vanilla cone. I'd dump the cone into the root beer and eat my root beer float while walking the rest of the way home. 

(I wasn't even remotely concerned about getting kidnapped or raped while walking home alone in the middle of the night! So I guess I was a little naive.)



Marty and Lizzie's apartment is so homey! 
And they've even got wedding pictures up already!


They found a great pizza place in Orem for dinner
(filled with Brian Kershisnik art for sale!)
and we got to hear all about their first two days of school.
We're going to try to meet them for dinner in Provo more often.


And on the way home from our evening of reminiscing about our Provo days,
The Proclaimers came on the radio. Couldn't have been more perfect.


No comments: