Sunday, January 14, 2018

Hike Maui

Before I report on how cool our Hike was to Twin Falls. I want to remember how cool church was.
The building and cultural hall and stage and the Relief Society room were packed. 
Packed with families taking time out of vacation to go to church on Sunday to take the Sacrament.
And this happens all over the world -- most obviously at vacation spots. 
It's crowded, it takes forever to pass the sacrament. The talks can be interesting or sometimes not.
But all over the world people go to church on Sunday to be obedient and show our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ that we are always, no matter where we are and what we're doing, 
trying to Remember Him.


Sunday after church we headed on our "Hike Maui" tour hiking and cliff jumping at Twin Falls -- located around the beginning of the road to Hana. We love Hike Maui because they have contracts with the land owners so you can hike on the private part of the land. Also, the tour guides know the names of every plant and keep their eyes out for fresh fruit we can eat along the way. This time we found strawberry guava and lilikoi (passionfruit). So delicious! Also, small edible purple flowers that tasted like mushrooms. We also saw bananas and avocado but up too high to reach.

We visited 4 different waterfalls and cliff jumped at two of the spots. I seriously had a nervous feeling at the first spot. I'd done it before a few years ago but this time I was nervous. That feeling that made me think, "remember how I felt this way that time I jumped off that bridge at BYU and shattered my ankle?"







I didn't really know what bad thing could possibly happen when all the kids and Dan had already gone first, but I went to a lower spot anyway. Interestingly, three things happened. One, I stabbed my eyelid with my thumbnail when my fingers slipped off while I was plugging my nose, and Two, something strange happened to my ears and they were KILLING for the next couple of hours until we got home and I took Tylenol. Maybe I went down too far and the pressure affected them? Not sure. And Three, my leg wasn't lined up well and I pulled my groin. Lesson learned? I might end up being the Grandma who is a good cheerleader, "Go ahead and have fun. I'll watch!"

My eye scratch.
The hike through the jungle was beautiful with all different trees, plants, root structures -- some crawling along the ground and others exposed and reaching towards the ground. The melaleuca tree was fascinating because it's bark was so soft! (And Kristin has had a Melaleuca business for years.)

After looking at cute Kristin, look at the roots covering the ground!!
The water we jumped into was cold but that's half the fun. At our first spot, we could get behind the waterfall. Grottos, fern, caves, tree canopies. It's pretty magical.




1 comment:

LifeOfARealMom said...

Yeah Hawaii!!! I loved the trip with this amazingly kind, interesting, talented family! The best part of any trip for me is - THE PEOPLE.